Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ahhhhhh

Okay... where to start...
You know what? Eff it. I am not going to start anywhere, I'm just going to talk.
I had a bad day.
It wasn't the kids.
It wasn't the other teachers.
It was me.
I haven't been getting enough sleep.
I think I'm even a touch under the weather.
I have so much on my mind: wedding, parent/teacher conferences/the state of our school....
We're short 4 safety aids and 2 assistant principals.
We've had five massive fights over the past two days.
We were in a code yellow all day yesterday, and again today.
I'm feeling sad for my students because they may lose their pep rally and homecoming.
I read a children's book to them today called, "I Wuv You" because they need positivity.
I also read it because I was feeling so negative myself, and I needed a pick-me-up.
My kids are starting to "test" me.
I don't blame them-the school is complete havoc right now.
I'm feeling worn down.
I can't wait until the wedding is over (because I just want to relax).
I hate PebbleCreek.
I'm feeling overwhelmed at the fact that most of my ninth graders' skill level is minimal.
I wish tenth graders loved to write.
I wish tenth graders were slightly better at self-directive work-time--
then we could effectively have a writing workshop...not like it was today.

I won a doughnut for being the only teacher in the building who hasn't written a referral yet.
I also am the only teacher who hasn't sent out a student or called security.
I think my students should win doughnuts for this; not me.
I love them so much.
I could have cried today because I felt like they were mad at me.
I was being a big ole' meanie because I was cranky.
I said sorry.
They liked the book.

3 comments:

  1. Megan!

    I love you and your students do, too. You are probably the most caring, skilled teacher they've had... EVER. But don't forget that factors such as the environment being beyond your control, the frustration of poverty, and the lack of mature academic stimulation before coming to you is something that has absoultely zero to do with your professional accomplishment, and everything to do with the reason that you are there.

    Also: PebbleCreek is satan. Kelly Young is satan. I have been there, and I have ideas. If you want to mine my brain for how to stab PebbleCreek in the eye yet still "technically" kinda teach it, I am here for you. Just shoot me an email.

    And keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that you incorporated a children's book into your day to cheer both you and your students up shows how much you care! I know of a couple of great pieces that involve solving differences that I found after I had a rough week of student teaching that included a few major fights. If you need them let me know. Hang in there, it'll get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, you two! Guess what? It has gotten better. :)

    ReplyDelete